Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Perfect Gift

I love the holidays and gift giving. Yes, as much as I like receiving gifts, I love  giving gifts even more.
Every year, I am bound and determined to give THE PERFECT gift to family and friends.
 
I try to use a blend of homemade/creative with store-bought items to deliver the best gift someone receives that year. I typically try to stay away from gift cards. I'm not really a fan of giving gift cards because, to me, it just doesn't feel like a whole lot of thought went into it.

(Don't get me wrong, I like receiving gift cards, and do still give gift cards, but I think they have become too widely used as the go-to-easy-way-out gift. I mean, if we're just going to swap gift cards, we might as well just save our money and not even bother. Ok, mini rant over!)

I usually have lots of ideas. The problem is, I also have a budget. (note: the budget isn't very big)




I spend what feels like forever agonizing over what the perfect gift will be for each person on my list.

I get an idea, and then the next day it doesn't feel quite right. I think to myself, "Is this really the best gift idea? Is there something better?"
My stress level rises.

I dream up a different idea, and then it's over my budget. (I really try to stick to my Christmas budget).
My stress level increases even more.

Rinse and Repeat. Ugh.

After a few weeks...I'm out of weeks.  Christmas is here, and I'm still scrambling to find the perfect gift.
 
But this year will be different. I am vowing to make this year different.

I am teaching myself that when you have factors like kids, work, a budget, and wanting even a little bit of sleep, you just have to make do.

So, while this years' gift recipients will still receive some great gifts, I will NOT stress about it being absolutely perfect like I've done in years past.
This year's theme will be to give "great" gifts...maybe not perfect, but still great.


And that, in and of itself, just might be perfect.
 
 

No comments: