Friday, October 7, 2011

Reusable Grocery Bags

Do you use reusable grocery bags?
We do, and I love it!  We have all kids of them, small, medium, large, cloth, canvas, insulated, colorful, etc.  You catch my drift.  I even have one that rolls into itself and stays clipped to my key chain for those improptu trips to Target (or the grocery or whatever).  We even have some reusable produce bags!

This isn't to say that we never use plastic bags. 

Like when we had our recent weekly trip to the grocery store and realized we had forgotten ALL of our reusable bags at home. I didn't even have an emergency stash in the car!  We had both kids in tow, so the though of heading back home to get the bags was out of the question.  It crossed my mind for about half of a second before it was quickly wiped from my thoughts.

A few plastic bags won't be that bad, right?

OH.  MY.  GOSH.

I'm writing this blog post if for no other reason than to remind myself to bring my reusable bags every time we do our weekly grocery trip.  Every. Single. Time.


(my husband found 2 more bags in the car after I snapped this picture!)
 For reference, we usually have about 4-5 of our reusable bags full of groceries each week.
The amount of plastic bags used was just ridiculous.  Pair the fact that the plastic bags can't hold as much as the resuable bags with the terrible bagging process and it's just has WASTE written all over it.

The 3lb bag of potatoes that we bought was in a plastic bag by itself.  Really?  Was that necessary?

Don't get me wrong.  We still use these plastic grocery bags as liners in our bathroom garbage cans and for misc. dirty diapers that need to be brought outside ASAP, but we might only use 2-3 per week, if that many!
So, I gathered up the extra bags to be taken back to the store next weekend to be placed in the "bag recycling center".
From now on, I'll try even harder to remember to bring those reusable bags!

Do you use reusable grocery bags?
What tricks or tips might you have for a busy mom like me to remember to bring them with her to the store?!

No comments: