Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day Flower Pot

Can you believe Mother's Day is already upon us?
I know I can't.

My kids are lucky enough to have both of their grandma's living in the same city as our family.  This makes it fun to do little gifts for the grandparents from their grandkids on Mother's Day and Father's Day.  Even if this just means a handmade card by the kids.

We haven't made the craft/gift yet for this year (I know I only have 2 days left!). I have the idea, but my mom reads this blog and I don't want to spoil the surprise (or disappoint if the idea doesn't pan out!)
I thought I would share a gift we made a few years ago from my daughter for each of her grandma's just in case you're looking for a last minute gift idea!


 
Isn't it cute?


This is my mom's, which has the name "Nonna" written on it. That is what she is called by the grandkids. My mother-in-law is "Nana". (Yes, sometimes this can get confusing!)



I don't have any step by step pictures since I made this 2 years ago. However it's pretty easy to explain:

What you'll need:
Colored paper (or you can just color white paper yourself!)
Green pipe cleaners
Pictures
Clay pot
Acrylic Paint
Ribbon
Pinto Beans (or something similar)
Mod Podge/Glue

What to do:
I took some different colored paper and had my daughter do some fabulous drawings on them. Then I cut the paper into tulip shapes (cut 2 shapes for each flower that you want for the end product).

I glued a green pipe cleaner in between 2 tulip shapes. On one of the tulips I glued a picture of my daughter.  I also added the date on the bottom of one of the flowers.  I like to do this to most gifts I make so that in years to come when your memory isn't as sharp, you can remember when the gift was made!

For the flower pot I just used some acrylic paint and painted "Nonna" (or "Nana" for the other one).  There is also a heart drawn on the other side that is not pictured.  I then glued some ribbon around the top edge in a coordinating color :)

I filled the pot with pinto beans for stability and stuck the flowers in the beans.
So simple!



My mom's still sits on her desk at work. And this is such an easy gift to add more "flowers" as the number of grandkids increases :)

 
Happy Mother's Day to my mom and all mom's this weekend!

No comments: