Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Meatloaf Surprise

Interesting title, huh?

I usually only make meatloaf one time a year.  It's one of my husband's favorite meals, so he gets it homemade each year as his birthday dinner.

I left work a little early so I'd have time to make it before I had two kids tugging on my legs.  It's just easier that way, trust me.

We try to eat fairly healthy, so I'm always trying to think of new ways to "reinvent" meatloaf.  You know, make it healthier, and more exciting.
My meatloaf recipe isn't all that special or exciting.  I usually just follow the tried and true recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. 


Doesn't every married woman have one of these?


Anyway, I loosly follow the meatloaf recipe that's in there, adjusting quantities based on what I have and to suit our tastes. 
But this year, I thought I'd liven it up a little more:


Shredded carrot is pretty exciting, isn't it!?


Wait, there's more....


Can you guess what it is?


I had an extra zucchini that needed to be used.  So I shredded that into the meatloaf, as well.
I know you can hardly contain yourself and your excitement.

As if the meatloaf couldn't get any better, I added yet another twist this year....



Individual portioned mini-meatloafs!


As a bonus, I was able to get EXACTLY twelve mini-meatloaves to fill the cupcake pan.  I can't even do that when I make actual cupcakes!

Unfortunately, there isn't a cooked picture of the meatloaf, because by that time the kids were home and chaos had ensued.  Trust me when I say that they were at hit!

Individually portioned and easy to serve.  And SURPRISE.....added vegetables that the kids don't even know they are eating.  Awesome!

I just might have to do this again before next year!

2 comments:

Melissa Gregory said...

Sounds good! Try adding some Cholula if you don't already add a hot sauce. It's not really hot but adds a good amount of flavor w/o a lot of calories! If you guys like mushrooms, that would also probably give good flavor.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the tip, Melissa! I'll have to try adding hot sauce next time!